I have some important news to share about Xero retiring their old reporting system on the 31st of July 2023. For some time zones, this means that old reports will not be accessible from the 30th of July 2023 ...
I really like Xero because they're very innovative with their bookkeeping platform. This is a bit of an evolution towards a more advanced, dynamic, and user-friendly reporting. The new version of their reports is intended to make your month-end reporting experience smoother and more efficient.
Changes can sometimes be unsettling, so to ensure this transition is as seamless as possible, they are strongly recommending switching to the new reports now as it's easier to make the shift while both versions are available side by side.
As of 31st July 2023, here's what's going to happen:
- You will have read-only access to old published and archived reports
- You won't be able to run old reports
- Any saved drafts of old reports will be removed from Xero
- There are some reports that won't be retired on this date (they're upgrading them at a later date)
The process of switching to the new reports is easy if you're happy to use them as they are. Simply click the 'Accounting' menu in Xero, then select 'Reports'. From here, you can access and browse all our new reports.
However, if you've customised your existing old reports, or have workflows outside of Xero, you may need to take a few additional steps:
- Copy any custom layouts you may have using our layout importer tool. This needs to be done before the 31st of July as you won't be able to after that date
- Customise the new version if you want to, and save it as a custom report or default layout. This way, your reports will open exactly how you want them next time
- Finalise and publish any old saved report drafts that you wish to keep as read-only reports. Draft reports will be removed after the 31st of July
- Connect any external workflows to the new versions of your reports. This is crucial if you export data and do further manipulations in Excel or other apps to get what you need, like macros
Xero believes this is a vital step towards improving their services and making them more user-friendly. Remember, these changes mean you'll need to do your month-end reporting for July 2023 in the new version of the reports.
If anything I've written here resonates with you, call me on 01604 420057 and let's see how we can help you.